Before IV Anesthesia
- Do not have anything to eat or drink 6 hours prior to your scheduled surgery. You may have water up to 3 hours prior to your sedation.
- An adult must be present with you to provide safe transportation following your scheduled surgery and remain in our office until the surgery is complete. For your own safety, you cannot drive yourself home or take public transportation without an escort. No driving for 24 hours after having IV sedation.
- Take your usual prescription medications on your day of surgery with small sips of water, unless informed otherwise by your doctor.
- Please notify our office if you develop a cold or congestion within 2 weeks of your surgery.
- Please refrain from using any recreational substances (ie. marijuana) at least 2 weeks prior to surgery, since it may have a negative effect with the anesthesia.
- After surgery, it is recommended that you attempt to eat softer foods (Jell-O, mashed potatoes, well cooked pasta, etc.) and begin taking up to 800 mg of Ibuprofen (Advil or Motrin) every 8 hours for baseline pain management, (over the counter Ibuprofen comes in 200 mg tablets). This is in addition to any narcotic pain medicine prescribed.
- Having someone you trust nearby to assist you throughout the day will ensure that you will have a safe and comfortable recovery.
- A follow-up appointment will be scheduled for one week after your procedure.
- If you have any questions at all, please do not hesitate to contact our office at (559) 435-7993.